- Country: Myanmar
- Your Guide: English Speaking
- Travel Style: Cultural & Classic
- Tour Type: Private Tour
- Start: Yangon, Myanmar
- Finish: Yangon, Myanmar
You will visit
Set off for a pleasant drive to Kyaikhtiyo (190 km, 5 hours), home to one of Myanmar's most well-known landmarks. Renowned for its unstable location and religious significance, the 'Golden Rock' is a massive boulder covered entirely in gold leaf and precariously balanced right on the edge of a jagged cliff. On the way you will pass the Allied War memorial park near Htauk Kyan, the final resting place for over 27,000 Allied soldiers where you can make a brief stop.
Upon arrival in Kin Pun, a small town at the foot of the mountain, switch vehicles to a public local truck for a winding, exhilarating ride the top of the mountain. If you wish, you can get off at the half-way point (45 minute drive – truck stop “Yeataetaung”) and continue on foot up challenging-yet-rewarding paths to the summit (4 km – around 01 hour).
Note: The local trucks from Kinpun camp to the top will be very crowded and uncomfortable. Locals are also known to tag along. The trucks won’t leave until they are stocked with passengers; we kindly ask for your patience. Please note that you need to reach Kinpun at 5.30 PM at the latest to be sure to get a truck to the top.
OPTION: PRIVATE TRUCK – SURCHARGE: US$ 130/group (max. 30 pax)
Private trucks are available at extra cost (please see supplemental cost in tour cost part) Arriving at the Golden Rock you’ll be awe-struck by the gleaming Golden Rock and the views that surround it. The pagoda here is said to hold a hair of the Buddha and many Buddhists from all over Southeast Asia come here to worship. Watch as the sun sets overtop of Kyaikhtiyo - a magical sight- and then return to your hotel for the evening.
Lunch and Dinner on own account. Overnight stay near the Golden Rock.
OPTION: TRAIN RIDE FROM YANGON TO BAGO – SURCHARGE: US$ 3/pax
Although by no means up to the standards you probably experience at home (frequent delays and cancellations and very basic and scruffy seating and facilities) travelling by train around Myanmar still offers one of the best methods of exploring the country. With the average speed of trains in Myanmar being significantly lower than in most other countries, rail travel allows the splendor of the passing landscape to be enjoyed and chat to the beautiful local people.
You will be taken to Yangon’s central train station and go by train to Bago. The train is scheduled to depart at 07.15 o’clock and you’ll arrive in Bago at around 09.15 o’clock (be aware of delays in Myanmar!). Upon arrival in Bago you will continue your journey by car to the Golden Rock (ca. 110 km, 3.5 hours).
In the early morning you’ll have the opportunity to visit the Golden Rock again to soak in its atmosphere, especially when the glinting boulder is bathed in the purple, sometimes misty light of dawn. You’ll also have time to explore several other stupas and shrines scattered on the ridge at the top of Mount Kyaikhtiyo. Afterwards you’ll drive or trek down to the base camp by the same route and return to Yangon.
On the return, stop in Bago (ca. 110 km, 3.5 hours) to stretch your legs and explore this former capital if the Mon kingdom. Browse through the colorful local market where vendors sell flowers, produce and spices. Your exploration of Bago will continue to the thousand-year old Shwemawdaw Pagoda which features a spire taller than the one of Shwedagon Pagoda. And then carry on your sightseeing tour to the 55-meter long Shwe Tha Lyaung Buddha, which is recognized as one of the country's most extraordinary images. You can also, should time allow, visit Hantharwaddy Pagoda which has some interesting Nat figures and offers views over Bago from its upper platform.
Once you’ve arrived back in Yangon (ca. 80 km - 1.5 hours), you’ll be dropped at your hotel.
Lunch and dinner on own account.
Important Notes for visits to Golden Rock
What to pack
- Sturdy shoes as the way up to Golden Rock is very steep.
- A pullover, light weight jacket and/or scarf as it gets quite cold in the evening.
- Backpack: Leave your main luggage in Yangon and just bring a backpack or small overnight back.
Porters: If you decide to bring along your suitcases, you can hire porters on spot (on own account). The price depends on the location of your booked hotel:
- Golden Rock Hotel (around 6 minutes’ walk from the first truck stop “Yeataetaung”). The hotel is located around 45 minutes’ walk from the top of the Golden Rock. Around 7000-8000 Ks for a porter per way (2-4 pieces of luggage depending on the size).
- Mountain Top Hotel & Kaikhtoo Hotel (around 5 minutes’ walk from the 2nd truck stop). Both hotels are located near the Golden Rock. Around 3000-5000 Ks for a porter per way (2-4 pieces of luggage depending on the size). The rest of the hotels are located around the mountain base and luggage can be delivered directly to the hotel.
- Accommodation with daily breakfast at selected hotels.
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary.
- Private tours and all services as mentioned in the itinerary.
- Private transportation with air-conditioning.
- Public truck to visit Golden Rock.
- Local English speaking guides (Note: Supplement for a through-out Russian/French/Spanish/etc speaking guide please contact our consultant for further detail).
- Entrance fees for all mentioned sights visited.
- International flights.
- Early check-in and late check-out at hotels.
- Personal expenses (such as laundry, telephone, drinks, etc.).
- Tipping for guides and drivers.
- Compulsory personal travel insurance.
- Myanmar Visa fees (contact our travel consultant for further information).
- Compulsory Christmas and New Year Eva Dinner at hotels if required.
- Sedan chair Ks.20000 per person (Hermit Camp to near the platform of Pagoda)
- Other meals which do not mention in the itinerary.
- Others not mentioned.
- The tour rate is based on twin/double sharing rooms at 3* hotel category.
- We can customize this tour according to your request. Our travel
consultant will contact you within 12 hours with a tailor-made itinerary
DepositA minimum deposit of 30% of the full amount is required to confirm your booking. The balance will be settled before or upon arrival.
CancellationWe apply non refundable deposit of 10 USD for hotel, air ticket booking, 100 USD/per person for tour package upon service confirmation. Cancellations will be charged as following:
- 30 days before arrival: No cancellation charge.
- 29 - 14 days before arrival: 10% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- 13 - 7 days before arrival: 40% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- 6 days before arrival: 100 % of the tour cost is forfeited.
- No show: 100% of the tour cost is forfeited.