- Country: Myanmar
- Your Guide: English Speaking
- Travel Style: Cultural & Classic
- Tour Type: Private Tour
- Start: Yangon, Myanmar
- Finish: Yangon, Myanmar
You will visit
Mingalabar and welcome to Myanmar! Upon arrival at the airport you will be warmly welcomed by your guide who will take you to your hotel for check in (note: check in time is 14.00. Early check in is subject to availability).
Drive to the chaotic Indian quarter, Shri Satyanarayan Temple. Visit the Shwe Bon Tha Street with others Hindu temples, also known as the center of Indian activity in Yangon. You can see the daily lives of the Hindu community here.
No Myanmar expedition can be considered truly great if it’s lacking a visit to the legendary Shwedagon Pagoda. Ready for an amazing experience? The visual delights present there alone, are worth the trip. Witness the colors transform on the 100-meter chedi which is literally enclosed in over 40 tons of gold leaf. You will start at the eastern staircase where you will find a row of shops at the base of the temple selling various religious items. Here you will find monks robes, alms bowls, offerings, incense and other unique Buddhist objects. As your browse the stalls your guide will explain the use and rituals of Myanmar’s Buddhist people. Shwedagon is largely considered to be the most important religious site for the Burmese; most visitors report that the trip is extremely memorable and still etched into their minds.
Accommodation: Hotel in Yangon
This morning, after breakfast at your hotel, we will take five hour jouney to the well-known Buddhist pilgrimage site in Mon State - Golden Rock. It is built on the top of a granite boulder covered with gold leaves pasted on by devotees.
En route visit Kyakhat Wine Monastery where many monks live while studying Buddha's literature. This is a great chance for you to learn more about monastic life of young monks.
When reach the base camp, we travel by local open-air truck to the junction camp and then to Golden Rock or and spend 45 minutes walking to the Golden Rock. If you would love to use sedan chair or cable car, you should pay by your own account.
Lunch and dinner on your own account. Overnight near Golden Rock.
Important Notes for visits to Golden Rock
What to pack
- Sturdy shoes as the way up to Golden Rock is very steep.
- A pullover, light weight jacket and/or scarf as it gets quite cold in the evening.
- Backpack: Leave your main luggage in Yangon and just bring a backpack or small overnight back.
Porters: If you decide to bring along your suitcases, you can hire porters on spot (on own account). The price depends on the location of your booked hotel:
- Bawgatheddhi Hotel, Kyaikhtiyo (around 6 minutes’ walk from the first truck stop “Yeataetaung”). The hotel is located around 45 minutes’ walk from the top of the Golden Rock. Around 7000-8000 Ks for a porter per way (2-4 pieces of luggage depending on the size).
- Mountain Top Hotel & Kaikhtoo Hotel (around 5 minutes’ walk from the 2nd truck stop). Both hotels are located near the Golden Rock. Around 3000-5000 Ks for a porter per way (2-4 pieces of luggage depending on the size). The rest of the hotels are located around the mountain base and luggage can be delivered directly to the hotel.
Accommodation: Hotel in Kyaikhtiyo
Meal: Breakfast at hotel
Enjoy brekfast at hotel and head back to Yangon. We move to the base camp by open truck, then drive to Yangon. On the way, don’t miss the chance to make a stop at Bago (or Pegu) to explore Shwemawdawpagoda - the tallest pagoda in Myanmar. It always amazes anyone with its stunning architecture and great scale. Take time to visit Kanbawzathardi palace-a reconstruction of the original Royal palace from the second half of the 16th century and shwethalyaung- one of the largest Buddha images in Burma; and Kyaik Pun pagoda which is known for its four towering images of the Buddha visible from far away; as well as the town market and a Mon neighborhood where the locals once produced woven textiles.
Before reach Yangon, spend some time to visit World War 2 Cemetery and a workshop producing hand-made pots.
Accommodation: Hotel in Yangon
Meal: Breakfast at hotel
This morning we will have an amazing shopping in Bogyoke Aung San market which fills with arts and handicrafts, fashion and jewelry.
Then transfer to Yangon International Airport to take your departure flight and conclude the trip.
Note: Bogyoke Aung San Market is closed on Monday & Public Holidays.
Meal: Breakfast at hotel
- Accommodation in a shared twin or shared double room with daily breakfast.
- Tours and transfers as mentioned by private air conditioned vehicle.
- Public Truck from the base camp to the junction camp in Kyaikhtiyo.
- Local English speaking guide.
- Meals where mentioned (B: breakfast).
- Entrance fees.
- Water and tissues.
- Service charges and taxes.
- International flight tickets.
- Myanmar E-visa.
- Single supplement surcharge.
- Other meals than mentioned.
- Drinks, other than water on activity days.
- Personal expenses (laundry, telephone, drinks, tip...).
- Compulsory Christmas and New Year Eve Dinner at hotel if required.
- Travel insurance.
- Sedan chair Ks.20000 per person in Kyaikhtiyo (Hermit Camp to near the platform of Pagoda).
- Others not mentioned.
The tour rate is based on twin/double sharing rooms at 3* hotel category. We can customize this tour according to your request. Our travel consultant will contact you within 12 hours with a tailor-made itinerary and price.
A minimum deposit of 30% of the full amount is required to confirm your booking. The balance will be settled before or upon arrival.
Clothing & Packing Tips
- We recommend packing lightweight, loose-fitting clothing that can be easily layered to accommodate varying temperatures, as well as a light jacket.
- A sturdy pair of walking shoes or sneakers is recommended for sightseeing.
- Waterproof shoes or sandals, a swimsuit, sunscreen, and insect repellent are recommended for outdoor activities.
- It is preferable not to visit temples or other religious sites with bare legs and shoulders (and entrance may be denied on this basis).
- Free Wi-Fi is available in most hotels.
- You can buy 4G data simcard at the airport, the price is very low.
- Please contact your mobile service provider for information on roaming charges.
- You will use the Vietnamese dong in Vietnam, Cambodian riel (or U.S. dollars) in Cambodia, and the Kip(Lak) in Laos.
- In Cambodia, U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere, though change may be given in riel. Most hotels, restaurants, shops, taxis, buses, and airlines list their prices in U.S. dollars, but small transactions (less than a dollar) are usually conducted in riel. Always carry small amounts of riel for motorcycle taxis, snacks, and other small purchases.
- Better rates of exchange are usually available overseas, although it’s worth ordering some currency from your local bank to use when you first arrive.
- We strongly advise that you take debit/bank cards and credit cards, which can be used to withdraw cash at local banks as needed.
- You can use most debit/credit cards at ATMs on the international networks Cirrus and Plus, but make sure to check with your home bank about withdrawal fees.
- International banks and businesses primarily accept debit and credit cards that work with the EMV chip system. If you do not already have at least one debit or credit card with a chip in it, we strongly recommend requesting one from your bank prior to your tour.
- At the conclusion of your tour, it’s customary to offer your tour guide and driver a gratuity in local currency. Please keep current exchange rates in mind.
- We recommend tipping the equivalent of $10USD to $15USD per day for your tour guide and the equivalent of $5USD to $10USD per day for your driver.
- Tips can only be paid in cash.
If you have any specific food requirement (vegetarian, vegan, food allergies, etc.) please inform us in advance, we will provide notices to our restaurants, tour guides and partners so they would be able to serve you the best.
We apply non refundable deposit of 10 USD for hotel, air ticket booking, 100 USD/per person for tour package upon service confirmation. Cancellations will be charged as following:
- 30 days before arrival: No cancellation charge.
- 29 - 14 days before arrival: 10% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- 13 - 7 days before arrival: 40% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- 6 days before arrival: 100 % of the tour cost is forfeited.
- No show: 100% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- Infant under 2-years-old free of charge land tour and 25% of airfare.
- Child under 12-years-old sharing room with adult without extra bed charge 50% of adult land tour and 75% of airfare.
- Child under 12-years-old sharing room with adult with bed charge 80% of adult land tour and 75% of airfare.
- Upon 12-years-old - 100% charge of tour cost.