Discover Vietnam Caves and Karsts - 9 Days
Besides a lot of beautiful beaches, river deltas, rice paddies… Vietnam also has a diverse and exotic landscape hidden underneath with a lot caves. This tour will help you to explore the highlight of karsts and caves in Vietnam. From the grottoes in Perfume pagoda, karst ecology in Van Long reservoir to caves in Halong bay, Phong Nha – Ke Bang national park. Especially, you will enjoy seaplane to have over the spectacular view in Halong bay.
- Country: Vietnam
- Your Guide: English Speaking
- Travel Style: Cultural & Classic
- Tour Type: Private Tour Package
- Start: Hanoi, Vietnam
- Finish: Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam
You will visit
Upon arrival, tour guide and driver of S Vietnam Travel will welcome you. Tour briefing and transfer to your hotel. Enjoy walking tour around Hoan Kiem lake and the Old Quarter of Hanoi. In the evening, the guide will take you on a culinary adventure, sampling street food in the Old Quarter. It’s a great opportunity to try all those weird and wonderful foods you see but just aren’t sure what they are! Start your Hanoi Street “Eats Tour” at Bia Hoi corner to try the local brew, a draft beer that traces its roots to Eastern Europe.
The Perfume Pagoda is one of the highlights of the Hanoi area and one of the most important religious sites in Buddhist Vietnam. Every spring, after the Vietnamese New Year, thousands of Vietnamese pilgrims come here to pray for all the health and prosperity they need to get them through the year. The pagoda itself is situated in a huge cave built into limestone cliffs and can only be reached by boat or by foot, as there are no roads into the area.
At 8.00 AM, the tour guide and driver will pick you up and then transfer to Perfume pagoda. Upon arrival, you take a row-boat trip on Yen stream. It is the really “romantic time” and then about 1 hour to Thien Tru harbor. You will enjoy time to trek go up and down to visit Huong Tich cave on the top of the mountain. In the cave, you have a chance to see Golden-Silver tree rice stuck…. After that come down for lunch at local restaurant.
After lunch time, you continue the tour with Heaven Kitchen pagoda to know about Buddhism ancient architectural at Le Dynasty. Then you will come back by rowboat-trip. Back to Hanoi in the late afternoon.
Meet your guide and driver in the morning and depart Hanoi bound to Ninh Binh Province. Known lovingly as "Halong Bay on land", this stunning province boasts similar limestone karst topography that rises from emerald rice paddy fields and winding rivers.
You will visit the 1000 year old temples of the Le and Dinh dynasties. You can spend your time (about a half - hour) in walking up one of the surrounding limestone karst hills, the climb is rewarding with spectacular views. You also use the service buffalo riding there (optional service). That will be so interesting.
In the afternoon, reach Van Long wharf and set off on a short boat trip into the reservoir at Van Long Nature Reserve - the largest wetland in northern Vietnam. This is also where many of the scenes from Kong: Skull Island took place. Float past poetic landscapes and rolling jungle hills that are perfect for photos. After that, you have a chance to visit Chau Son abbey which is a unique architectural structure that was built entirely by the talented hands and ardent love of its priests from 1939 to 1945. This austere religious cathedral was built without any modern machinery or means, including the cement pillars.
After check out hotel, the tour guide and driver will pick you up for the journey to Halong. You will check in Seaplane office at Tuan Chau island for 25 minutes sightseeing over bay Halong Bay (11.30 - 11.55).
After seaplane, you will check in a traditional junk for an overnight cruise. Halong Bay is widely considered to be one of the natural wonders of the world. Thousands of towering pillars of sea and wind-carved limestone karst make the bay an unforgettable sight. After lunch, explore some of the huge limestone caves dotted around the bay and visit a floating fishing village. Then the captain will find a secluded spot where you can swim, soak up the sun on the top deck. In the evening enjoy a seafood feast for dinner.
Enjoy an early morning swim (during the summer), followed by breakfast as you cruise through more spectacular scenery. The cruise arrives at the harbor by noon. The drive will pi ck you up and then transfer directly to the airport for late flight to Dong Hoi. Upon arrival in Dong Hoi, pick up and transfer to your hotel. Check in and free time.
Today, you will have a full day to discover Phong Nha - Ke Bang national park where you begin our stalactite/stalagmite adventure. In 2003, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as a result of its numerous large limestone caves.
In the morning, you will explore Thien Duong cave which is 31 kilometres in length. Often referred to as Paradise Cave, Thien Duong Cave is thought to be the longest dry cave in Asia and most spectacular limestone caves. There are a series of white crystal stalactites (limestone deposits) resembling natural pillars and many other spectacular formations.
After exiting Thien Duong Cave, a drive takes you to the second cave destination - Phong Nha cave. You will have a chance to enjoy the river life while on your scenic 30-minute private boat ride, oared by local villagers, leading to the entrance of Phong Nha Cave. Upon entering the cave, your river journey continues for approximately a mile, penetrating into the depths of this fascinating cave.
Back to your hotel in the late afternoon.
Today you will visit the natural beauty of Nuoc Mooc stream. The stream winds around a dense limestone forest. The tropical limestone forest is home to many species of birds, insects and animals and a rich biodiversity with seasoned trees, orchids, ferns and lianas. You should prepare suitable clothes to stroll through the dense groves to discover the wildlife and wallow in the cool water.
The stream includes many smaller currents of water separated by giant moss covered rocks. Sitting on the rocks under the shade of green trees is a nice option to take food, relax and capture the quiet, poetic surroundings.
Here, you can go swimming, kayaking, fishing and enjoy the famous local foods (optional tour).
Back to the hotel in the late afternoon.
Today, you will catch a short flight to Saigon. Upon arrival in Saigon, the tour guide and driver will pick you up and then transfer to city centre. You have a half day city tour, including The Reunification Palace, Notre Dame Cathedral and Old Post Office, Remnant War Museum and Ben Thanh market.
You have free time until be transferred to the airport for your departure flight. End of the trip. Thank you for using our service.
- Accommodation based on twin/double sharing room with daily breakfast.
- Vietnam visa approval letter.
- Experienced English-speaking guides as indicated in the itinerary.
- Private transportation with AC.
- Flight ticket Hanoi – Dong Hoi, Dong Hoi – Saigon.
- Train ticket Dong Hoi – Nha Trang (4 soft berth sharing cabin).
- Halong bay seaplane ticket.
- Boat trip in Ninh Binh.
- All sightseeing tickets.
- Lunches and dinners as indicated in the itinerary.
- Taxes and services charges.
- International flight tickets and airport tax.
- Visa stamping fee.
- Early check in and late check out.
- Drinks, gratuities and personal expenses.
The tour rate is based on twin/double sharing rooms at 3* hotel category. We can customize this tour according to your request. Our travel consultant will contact you within 12 hours with a tailor-made itinerary and price.
A minimum deposit of 30% of the full amount is required to confirm your booking. The balance will be settled before or upon arrival.
Clothing & Packing Tips
- We recommend packing lightweight, loose-fitting clothing that can be easily layered to accommodate varying temperatures, as well as a light jacket.
- A sturdy pair of walking shoes or sneakers is recommended for sightseeing.
- Waterproof shoes or sandals, a swimsuit, sunscreen, and insect repellent are recommended for outdoor activities.
- It is preferable not to visit temples or other religious sites with bare legs and shoulders (and entrance may be denied on this basis).
- Free Wi-Fi is available in most hotels.
- You can buy 4G data simcard at the airport, the price is very low.
- Please contact your mobile service provider for information on roaming charges.
- You will use the Vietnamese dong in Vietnam, Cambodian riel (or U.S. dollars) in Cambodia, and the Kip(Lak) in Laos.
- In Cambodia, U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere, though change may be given in riel. Most hotels, restaurants, shops, taxis, buses, and airlines list their prices in U.S. dollars, but small transactions (less than a dollar) are usually conducted in riel. Always carry small amounts of riel for motorcycle taxis, snacks, and other small purchases.
- Better rates of exchange are usually available overseas, although it’s worth ordering some currency from your local bank to use when you first arrive.
- We strongly advise that you take debit/bank cards and credit cards, which can be used to withdraw cash at local banks as needed.
- You can use most debit/credit cards at ATMs on the international networks Cirrus and Plus, but make sure to check with your home bank about withdrawal fees.
- International banks and businesses primarily accept debit and credit cards that work with the EMV chip system. If you do not already have at least one debit or credit card with a chip in it, we strongly recommend requesting one from your bank prior to your tour.
- At the conclusion of your tour, it’s customary to offer your tour guide and driver a gratuity in local currency. Please keep current exchange rates in mind.
- We recommend tipping the equivalent of $10USD to $15USD per day for your tour guide and the equivalent of $5USD to $10USD per day for your driver.
- Tips can only be paid in cash.
If you have any specific food requirement (vegetarian, vegan, food allergies, etc.) please inform us in advance, we will provide notices to our restaurants, tour guides and partners so they would be able to serve you the best.
We apply non refundable deposit of 10 USD for hotel, air ticket booking, 100 USD/per person for tour package upon service confirmation. Cancellations will be charged as following:
- 30 days before arrival: No cancellation charge.
- 29 - 14 days before arrival: 10% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- 13 - 7 days before arrival: 40% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- 6 days before arrival: 100 % of the tour cost is forfeited.
- No show: 100% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- Infant under 2-years-old free of charge land tour and 25% of airfare.
- Child under 12-years-old sharing room with adult without extra bed charge 50% of adult land tour and 75% of airfare.
- Child under 12-years-old sharing room with adult with bed charge 80% of adult land tour and 75% of airfare.
- Upon 12-years-old - 100% charge of tour cost.