Laos Adventure - 9 Days
- Country: Laos
- Your Guide: English Speaking
- Travel Style: Adventure
- Tour Type: Private Tour Package
- Start: Vientiane, Laos
- Finish: Muang Khua, Laos
You will visit
On arrival in Vientiane, you will be welcomed by local tour guide and get transferred to hotel in Vientiane - the country’s charming capital, with its laidback riverside ambience, and alluring monuments.
Meals on your own
Overnight in Vientiane
Today we will explore Vientiane- the charming and fascinating capital of Laos, one of the classic Indo Chinese cities which conjure up exotic images, with its intriguing mix of Lao, Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, French, American and Soviet influences. Our visit will take you to the key sites: Wat Sisaket the city ‘s oldest surviving temple with thousands of silver and porcelain images in the gloriously authentic temple compound that offers you a glimpse into the Vientiane of the past, the next stop is Haw Phra Kaeo. This large temple is beautiful both interior and exterior, it was built to house the famed Emerald Buddha in courtyards filled with frangipani trees.
Later today, a stop at the older part of Morning market is recommended before the visit Pha That Luang. The giant golden stupa is a sight to see as the bright gold holds a sharp contrast to the pure blue sky. Next you will go to climb the Arc De Triomphe of Laos, Patuxai. The massive arch has a beautiful mosaic tiled ceiling and once at the top you can see for miles around Vientiane.
In the afternoon, you will be transferred to Vang Vieng. Welcome on arrival and transfer to hotel for check in.
Meals on your own
Overnight at hotel
Start your full day biking tour with the exploration of one of the most unusual caves in the area: Tham Phoukham, the highly auspicious and venerated "Cave of the Golden Crab". Its hidden corridors are filled with an endless array of stalagmites and stalactites, besides underground lakes, deep wells and up to 80m high chimneys. Continuing westwards, the trail gets increasingly rough. We follow the narrow valley of the Houay San stream until the Pha Deng, namely "red cliff", comes into sight to your right. Depending on the season, the bikes have to be carried across short distances (muddy patches).
The village of Phonxay is the first on the banks of the Nam Khouang. The road continues south as a dirt track in good condition running parallel to the Nam Khouang. At the crossroads in Ban Nathong Tai, the road to the Nam Song Bridge is met again. Back in Vang Vieng, a sunset drink by the river marks the end of a great cycling adventure.
Accommodation: Hotel in Vang Vieng
Today you drive from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang, passing through Laos’ pristine countryside. This is long drive (approximately 7 - 8 hours) with spectacular view of Lao rain forest and the mountain ranges. Along the way we will stop for photo opportunities and visit various hill tribe villages. Upon arrival, transfer to hotel for check in.
Accommodation: Hotel in Luang Prabang
Optional: Tak Bat ceremony: 15 USD/pax (from 2 pax upward)
For early risers, alms giving ceremony is good chance to learn about local culture. We suggest you enjoy the sunrise at the crossroads in town around 05.00 when you will also see monks in saffron robes from Luang Prabang’s many temples walking in long silent processions searching for offerings left to them by the faithful.
In the morning, go to Phousi Mount where you also can have a nice panorama of the city.
Enjoy a short drive to visit Vat Xieng Thong or Temple of the Royal City- one of the most important of Lao monasteries and remains a significant monument to the spirit of religion, royalty and traditional art.
Then continue to Wat Visoun - an unusual structure which represents the earliest Lao style.
Afterwards, pay a visit to Wat Mai, a beautiful temple located nearby Royal Palace and built in the 18th century. It is the largest and most richly decorated of the temples in Luang Prabang.
Afterwards, we head to Kuang Sy Falls a stunning turquoise waterfall. On the way, you will pass through rice fields and beautiful small villages dotted along country road. Make a stop at some of the villages. Take a fresh swim to refresh yourself in many basins.
The balance of day is free at leisure.
Accommodation: Hotel in Luang Prabang
Take a morning cruise along the Mekong about two hours upstream from the centre of Luang Prabang, visit the village of Ban Xang Hai. Stop here to learn about LauLao (Lao whisky) and LauHai (Lao wine), before continuing to the numerous Buddha images at Pak Ou Caves. They are a group of caves on the left side of the Mekong river, Pak Ou (mouth of the Ou river) the Tham Ting (lower cave) and the Tham Theung (upper cave) are caves overlooking the founder name Mekong River. Crossing the river to the car for transfer to Nong Khaiw.
Free time at your leisure in the rest of day.
Accommodation: Hotel in Nong Khaiw
After breakfast, your will be transferred to Muang Ngoi by local Boat.
Leave Ngoi Kao by foot and hike to Tam Gang, which are situated about 30 minutes from the village. These cool, water-filled caves are several kilometers in length with waterfalls and rock formations inside, and were used as bomb shelters during several wars.
Leaving the caves, the trail continues for 1.5 hours through fields and towering limestone cliffs before arriving at Ban Houay Sens. Take a short break with refreshments in the village rest house before continuing to Ban Kew Khan on a 3-4 hour climb through primary forest with beautiful views of the limestone peaks.
Ban Kew Khan is a friendly Khmu village, where visitors can watch baskets being made, take photos of the traditional Khmu homes, and bathe in the natural spring. After eating a locally-prepared meal and participating in talking history and daily of the local people there a baci ceremony as Khmu they don’t have this ceremony, trekkers overnight in the two community family house, constructed in the Khamu style.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Accommodation: Local house in Muang Ngoi
After breakfast, trekkers journey three to four hours to Ban Hadsapeuy on the Ou River. From Ban Kew Khan, the trail makes a brief climb before descending through the forest and fields to arrive at a stream.
The next hour is spent on a shady walk in the river, before emerging to hike a small group of hills to Ban Hadsapeuy or Ban So Chem. Take a break with refreshments including fresh coconut before boarding a local boat for upstream to Muang Khua. Reaching a one-horse border town located on the banks of the Nam Ou River in the late afternoon, you will check in the hotel. Free to relax.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Accommodation: Guest house in Muang Khua
You don’t want to miss the early morning Binthabat ceremony. Hundreds of monks will leave their pagodas and make a slow procession through town, starting at 5:45AM and lasting for about an hour. You can easily find them in front of your hotel.
Return to the hotel for breakfast and then start a nice journey to Tay Trang Border.
Note: The Border gate immigration office normally closes for lunch between 12.00 - 13.30.
- Accommodation in a shared twin or double room with daily breakfast.
- Tours and transfers as mentioned by private air conditioned vehicle.
- Local English speaking guide.
- Meals where mentioned.
- Entrance fees.
- International flight tickets.
- Laos visa.
- Single supplement surcharge.
- Other meals than mentioned.
- Other services than mentioned.
- Drinks, other than water on activity days.
- Personal expenses (laundry, telephone, drinks, tip...).
The tour rate is based on twin/double sharing rooms at 3* hotel category. We can customize this tour according to your request. Our travel consultant will contact you within 12 hours with a tailor-made itinerary and price.
A minimum deposit of 30% of the full amount is required to confirm your booking. The balance will be settled before or upon arrival.
Clothing & Packing Tips
- We recommend packing lightweight, loose-fitting clothing that can be easily layered to accommodate varying temperatures, as well as a light jacket.
- A sturdy pair of walking shoes or sneakers is recommended for sightseeing.
- Waterproof shoes or sandals, a swimsuit, sunscreen, and insect repellent are recommended for outdoor activities.
- It is preferable not to visit temples or other religious sites with bare legs and shoulders (and entrance may be denied on this basis).
- Free Wi-Fi is available in most hotels.
- You can buy 4G data simcard at the airport, the price is very low.
- Please contact your mobile service provider for information on roaming charges.
- You will use the Vietnamese dong in Vietnam, Cambodian riel (or U.S. dollars) in Cambodia, and the Kip(Lak) in Laos.
- In Cambodia, U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere, though change may be given in riel. Most hotels, restaurants, shops, taxis, buses, and airlines list their prices in U.S. dollars, but small transactions (less than a dollar) are usually conducted in riel. Always carry small amounts of riel for motorcycle taxis, snacks, and other small purchases.
- Better rates of exchange are usually available overseas, although it’s worth ordering some currency from your local bank to use when you first arrive.
- We strongly advise that you take debit/bank cards and credit cards, which can be used to withdraw cash at local banks as needed.
- You can use most debit/credit cards at ATMs on the international networks Cirrus and Plus, but make sure to check with your home bank about withdrawal fees.
- International banks and businesses primarily accept debit and credit cards that work with the EMV chip system. If you do not already have at least one debit or credit card with a chip in it, we strongly recommend requesting one from your bank prior to your tour.
- At the conclusion of your tour, it’s customary to offer your tour guide and driver a gratuity in local currency. Please keep current exchange rates in mind.
- We recommend tipping the equivalent of $10USD to $15USD per day for your tour guide and the equivalent of $5USD to $10USD per day for your driver.
- Tips can only be paid in cash.
If you have any specific food requirement (vegetarian, vegan, food allergies, etc.) please inform us in advance, we will provide notices to our restaurants, tour guides and partners so they would be able to serve you the best.
We apply non refundable deposit of 10 USD for hotel, air ticket booking, 100 USD/per person for tour package upon service confirmation. Cancellations will be charged as following:
- 30 days before arrival: No cancellation charge.
- 29 - 14 days before arrival: 10% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- 13 - 7 days before arrival: 40% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- 6 days before arrival: 100 % of the tour cost is forfeited.
- No show: 100% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- Infant under 2-years-old free of charge land tour and 25% of airfare.
- Child under 12-years-old sharing room with adult without extra bed charge 50% of adult land tour and 75% of airfare.
- Child under 12-years-old sharing room with adult with bed charge 80% of adult land tour and 75% of airfare.
- Upon 12-years-old - 100% charge of tour cost.