Northwest Vietnam In Style - 8 Days
The remote mountains of Northwest Vietnam are home to colourful hill tribes and beautiful scenery. Start from the capital Hanoi and travel to Mai Chau, Son La, Dien Bien Phu, Lai Chau and Sapa, you will experience breathtaking mountain views, stunning scenery and meet friendly locals along the way.
Vietnam’s northern mountain ranges are breathtakingly beautiful, rich in cultural diversity and great fun to explore. Travel along roads snaking through high passes and through fertile valleys, see incredible rice terraces, visit colourful hill tribe markets and check out some of the areas historic sites.
- Country: Vietnam
- Your Guide: English Speaking
- Travel Style: Adventure
- Tour Type: Private Tour
- Start: Hanoi, Vietnam
- Finish: Hanoi, Vietnam
You will visit
Upon arrival, you will be welcomed by tour guide and driver of S Vietnam
Travel. Tour briefing and transfer to your hotel. Enjoy walking tour
around Hoan Kiem lake and the Old Quarter of Hanoi. In the evening, have
a welcome dinner at the local restaurant hosted by S Vietnam Travel.
Depart Hanoi in the early morning for 3.5 hour journey to Mai Chau. The
region is home to White Thai, H’mong, Zao, Muong, Tay and Hoa ethnic
minorities who live in charming stilt homes. On arrival, you will
immerse in spectacular picturesque surrounded by karst rock formations
and rice paddies. After lunch, take an easy trek for 3 hours around the
beautiful Mai Chau valley to visit more Muong and Thai Minority
villages. Going from one village to another and have a chance to get in
touch with local villagers going about their daily business tilling the
fields, logging or herding the buffalo. This evening, you can enjoy the
warm hospitality of the locals with an extensive home cooked meal and a
traditional Thai performance of music and dance.
Enjoy breakfast at home stay before driving up north to Son La. The road
is in good condition and the scenery is spectacular. You may take
frequent stops to visit minority villages of H’mong, Black Thai to talk
to the locals and take the photos. On the way, you will stop in Moc Chau
- one of of the biggest plateau in Vietnam. You have chance to join in
some tea making activities in O Long Tea Processing Factory and Moc
Suong Tea Plantation. After that, there is nothing better than a tea
party in the heart of the field. Here you can taste perfect hot tea
while breathing in the aroma of the plants and listening to the rustle
of the leaves in the breeze. Have lunch in Moc Chau town and reach to
Son La in the later afternoon. Dinner and overnight in Son La.
Today you continue to travel northwest. Today the drive is greater with
more winding road, longer passes, more colorful minority groups and more
stunning scenery. The highlight of today ride could be the impressive
pass of Pha Din pass, the longest pass in Vietnam with total length is
approximately up to 32 km. According to a local legend, Pha Din Pass is
the place where the sky meets the earth, so it is considered as the
frontier between Heaven and Earth. You will reach Dien Bien Phu early in
the afternoon and spend the rest of the day visiting Dien Bien Phu Old
battle field, A1 hill and Dien Bien Phu Museum. Dinner and overnight in
Dien Bien Phu.
Depart in the early morning for Lai Chau. Continue the way through
sloping passes which are typical for the Vietnam Northwest Mountain
Region, passing spectacular landscapes of various North-west passes,
misty mountain ranges. On the way, you will have interesting stops to
visit H’mong and Dzao villages. You would reach Tam Duong in the
afternoon. Take time to visit its market (Phong Tho market). which is at
its busiest on the days of local fairs. The market is popular with the
many different ethnic groups from the villages surrounding the town.
It's also a good place to buy green tea which is grown in plantations.
Dinner and overnight in Phong Tho.
Depart Lai Chau in the morning. You continue to make the way through
stunning scenery and villages. The driver today is the highlight of the
trip. It is great opportunity for photographer for amazing shoots with
fertile valley, pristine river and high mountains. Climbing Tram Ton
pass, the highest pass in Vietnam with the view to Fansipan Mountain
Peak - the roof of "Indochina". Visit the beautiful areas of Heaven's
Gate and Silver Waterfall before reaching Sapa in the later afternoon.
Check in hotel and free time to explore the town.
After having breakfast in a hotel you embark on a lovely trek that will
take you along buffalo paths and trails and through several hill tribe
villages Lao Chai & Ta Van, home to Black H'mong, and Dzay people.
This is an absolutely spectacular walk through stunning scenery
inhabited by some of the friendliest people you can meet. Once on the
valley floor you can really appreciate the wonderful scenery that
surrounds you. The walls of the valley are covered with multi-layered
rice terraced fields and scattered villages. Back to Sapa town in the
afternoon. Free time at your leisure.
You have free time until be transfer to the Lao Cai station for night
train to Hanoi. End of the tour. Thank you for using our service.
- Homestay, hotel with basic accommodation.
- Vietnam visa approval letter.
- Experienced English-speaking guides as indicated in the itinerary.
- Private transportation with AC (4WD car).
- One way train ticket Lao Cai - Hanoi (4 soft berth sharing ticket).
- All sightseeing tickets.
- Breakfast, Lunches and dinners as indicated in the itinerary.
- Taxes and services charges.
- International flight tickets and airport tax.
- Visa stamping fee.
- Early check in and late check out.
- Drinks, gratuities and personal expenses.
The tour rate is based on twin/double sharing rooms at 3* hotel category. We can customize this tour according to your request. Our travel consultant will contact you within 12 hours with a tailor-made itinerary and price.
A minimum deposit of 30% of the full amount is required to confirm your booking. The balance will be settled before or upon arrival.
Clothing & Packing Tips
- We recommend packing lightweight, loose-fitting clothing that can be easily layered to accommodate varying temperatures, as well as a light jacket.
- A sturdy pair of walking shoes or sneakers is recommended for sightseeing.
- Waterproof shoes or sandals, a swimsuit, sunscreen, and insect repellent are recommended for outdoor activities.
- It is preferable not to visit temples or other religious sites with bare legs and shoulders (and entrance may be denied on this basis).
- Free Wi-Fi is available in most hotels.
- You can buy 4G data simcard at the airport, the price is very low.
- Please contact your mobile service provider for information on roaming charges.
- You will use the Vietnamese dong in Vietnam, Cambodian riel (or U.S. dollars) in Cambodia, and the Kip(Lak) in Laos.
- In Cambodia, U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere, though change may be given in riel. Most hotels, restaurants, shops, taxis, buses, and airlines list their prices in U.S. dollars, but small transactions (less than a dollar) are usually conducted in riel. Always carry small amounts of riel for motorcycle taxis, snacks, and other small purchases.
- Better rates of exchange are usually available overseas, although it’s worth ordering some currency from your local bank to use when you first arrive.
- We strongly advise that you take debit/bank cards and credit cards, which can be used to withdraw cash at local banks as needed.
- You can use most debit/credit cards at ATMs on the international networks Cirrus and Plus, but make sure to check with your home bank about withdrawal fees.
- International banks and businesses primarily accept debit and credit cards that work with the EMV chip system. If you do not already have at least one debit or credit card with a chip in it, we strongly recommend requesting one from your bank prior to your tour.
- At the conclusion of your tour, it’s customary to offer your tour guide and driver a gratuity in local currency. Please keep current exchange rates in mind.
- We recommend tipping the equivalent of $10USD to $15USD per day for your tour guide and the equivalent of $5USD to $10USD per day for your driver.
- Tips can only be paid in cash.
If you have any specific food requirement (vegetarian, vegan, food allergies, etc.) please inform us in advance, we will provide notices to our restaurants, tour guides and partners so they would be able to serve you the best.
We apply non refundable deposit of 10 USD for hotel, air ticket booking, 100 USD/per person for tour package upon service confirmation. Cancellations will be charged as following:
- 30 days before arrival: No cancellation charge.
- 29 - 14 days before arrival: 10% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- 13 - 7 days before arrival: 40% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- 6 days before arrival: 100 % of the tour cost is forfeited.
- No show: 100% of the tour cost is forfeited.
- Infant under 2-years-old free of charge land tour and 25% of airfare.
- Child under 12-years-old sharing room with adult without extra bed charge 50% of adult land tour and 75% of airfare.
- Child under 12-years-old sharing room with adult with bed charge 80% of adult land tour and 75% of airfare.
- Upon 12-years-old - 100% charge of tour cost.